The Lion King III: Tanabi's Return

by Akril

Go Back

The Lion King III

Tanabi's Return

 

A Fanciful Fan-Fic by Jessica Beebe

Chapter Five

Many years had passed since Tanabi's return. Simba and his beloved mate were growing older; Kiara, thanks to her brother, was growing more aware of her destiny as future Queen.

Tanabi, despite his own troubles, was growing concerned for his father's aging body. By now, Simba's eyes had grown hazy, his once proud mane was thinner and tipped with strands of gray. His body was gaunt, resembling Kovu's build, only lighter. Nala was also coming on in years. Her azure eyes graced her delicate form, which was still graceful in spite of the tolls of time. Tanabi knew that soon the sun would set on his father's time and rise with him and his sister. Kovu's destiny . . . well . . . Tanabi did not know what to make of Kovu yet. His hazel eyes could see many dark forms engulfing the lion's body.

Even as a cub, Tanabi could see more than a normal creature. To his eyes, his parents appeared to be surrounded by bright yellow auras that slowly shifted as he watched them. However, in their old age, Simba and Nala's auras seemed to be fading.

The auras of strangers and enemies were less distinct and not as friendly. Monah was engulfed in a light blue haze that constantly shifted and confused Tanabi sometimes, which led him to suspect that his stepmother was holding back much.

Perhaps these visions were only illusions, but in spite of Kovu's unsure future, Tanabi knew that he should not hold any opinions for or against anything, even if the subject is evil, dangerous or different.

Monah spent much time with her foster son. Tanabi often wanted to ask her how she came across all the knowledge she taught him in his cub-hood years, but judging by Monah's flashing yellow eyes, which shone clearly through her blue aura, Tanabi knew that she wasn't giving away any secrets.

It was several weeks later when Tanabi first heard the news, inside the cave of the lionesses of the lower class, speaking to Kovu's sister. She was quite a puzzle for him. Her metaphysical coat was delicate yet solid. Tanabi could not see into her ambitions clearly, but judging by what he heard from her that day, he could see that Vitani knew much more than she seemed to.

"Kiara? With child? I don't believe this! Vitani, is this true?"

"True as the rain, my lord. She told me about it last evening. Kovu's just bubbling over with joy. That little termite just might split a seam."

"Where is he?"

Vitani scratched her scruffy forelock and flexed her claws. "He's sleeping outside the king's cave, like he always does. ‘Cept when he sleeps here, among the commoners. Still thinks of himself as a rogue. Poor guy."

"Thanks, Tani." Tanabi left the cave and climbed the side of Pride Rock to the mouth of Simba's cave. The sun was slowly setting beyond the western mountains. As Vitani had said, Kovu lay outside by a small pile of rocks.

"Hey. Kovu. I heard the news."

"I know. But I dunno if it's gonna be my kid or yours. You haven't been seeing Kiara alone, have you?"

Tanabi's face flushed. "I think not! Do I look like that kind of lion?"

"Just a joke, buddy," said Kovu, sitting up and stretching. "No, you ain't that type. Not now, not ever."

Tanabi could hardly see Kovu through the thick cloud of black haze that surrounded him. Only his scarred left eye was distinct. "I never thought I would be a father, Tanabi. I need all the help you can give."

Kovu rose to his feet and walked inside the cave. The dark aura exaggerated his stalking movements. Tanabi pricked up his ears and heard some muffled sobbing coming from within the cave. "Kiara!"

He bolted into the cave, the dark interior blinding him temporarily. He found Kovu and Kiara sitting by Simba and Nala, who were lying down, breathing shallowly. Rafiki the mandrill shaman stood nearby, his large eyes moist. Kiara was weeping uncontrollably as Rafiki spoke.

"Your parents are quite weak, princess. Leave dem be for now. I will do my best."

The mandrill waved the couple out of the cave. Kiara was still weeping, her head on Kovu's shoulder as they passed Tanabi. Kovu gave him a serious look, then sighed and continued out, trying to console his partner.

Then Rafiki noticed Tanabi. His fragile body sagged as he gripped his staff. "Prince Tanabi, I knew you would come. De king is old. His time draws near. I tink he would like to see you."

Rafiki hobbled out of the cave, leaving the young lion with his aged parents, the light of the setting sun running across the stone floor. Tanabi looked at his parents' bodies, and trembled as he noticed how slowly their yellow auras pulsed and shifted. His heart quickened.

"Father?"

Simba opened his weary eyes and smiled at his son.

"Father, don't leave yet. I need you. Kiara does too."

"Tanabi, you'll do all right. You are the true king now. I have lived this life to its fullest, now I need my rest."

A lump swelled in Tanabi's throat. "Dad, I'm not you. I haven't received the proper training. What if I fail?"

"I'll be by your side, Tanabi."

"But won't you be in the stars, with the other Great Kings of the Past?"

Simba managed a weak chuckle. "Of course. But I'll also be here, as will all the other kings who have passed on."

Nala flicked an ear and slowly raised her head. "Tanabi, my son. I'm glad that you've come. I thought I wouldn't get a chance to see you again before I left . . . I love you, Tanabi."

"I know mother. But . . . even though I didn't always have a family . . . I want to be with you. I can't live without you."

"Tanabi," said Simba, "When my father died, I wished that he were still alive. I tried to shake off the fact that he was gone, but I couldn't. Then I got some sense knocked into me. I learned that my father lives on . . . in me. So it will be with you. Me, your mother, and all the Great Kings of the Past will live on forever in you."

"Well said, Simba." Said another voice from the entrance of the cave. It was a strong yet compassionate voice, the voice of a once great king. Tanabi raised his head and found himself staring into a face much like his own, yet older and softer. The eyes of the face were a golden brown, much like the great mane that adorned the noble face. Slowly, Tanabi could discern the rest of the image's body: well-built and muscular, surrounded by a shimmering aura that confused his senses. It was not the colored haze that he saw in mortal creatures, but rather the shroud of a god, a once mighty creature.

"Are you who I think you are?" Tanabi asked out loud.

Simba's eyes brimmed with tears. "Mufasa . . . "

"You're alive . . . " Tanabi quavered.

"We are all alive, my grandson. We are all with you as you walk through your world. All of us."

As Mufasa spoke, several other figures shimmered into being behind him. Tanabi recognized the late Sarabi, her tan coat and black-edged ears prominent; as well as the muscular, tawny Ahadi; his beloved mate Akase; the powerful, dark-coated Mohatu, and all the Great Kings and Queens of the Past. Even the black-maned Taka cowered at his brother's side, close to his beloved Zira and their scruffy oldest son, Nuka.

It was then that Tanabi, son of Simba and Nala, brother of Kiara, King of Pride Rock, so strong of spirit that he couldn't be seen even by the gods, possibly half spirit, half lion, the great seer of truth of all mortals crouched down and wept by his father's side. True mortal tears, unlike any from the eyes of a god.

"You are worthy of the throne, Tanabi," whispered Nala. "Don't worry. We'll be with you. I'm just glad that you are alive." As she smiled at her son, Nala's eyes slowly faded from blue to green, her great sorrow finally lifted. Tanabi cried even more, caressing his mother and father. Simba then sighed and said: "Tanabi, remember that when you walk to the peak of Pride Rock to take your place, we will all be roaring with you. Remember that, my son."

"Come, Simba," Mufasa purred gently. "Come with us. It is time. You too, my dear Nala. You have done well. It's time that you rested."

In the dim light of the dying sun, Tanabi watched as his mother and father's auras faded out of existence before his eyes. For the first and last time, he saw them as they really were: a majestic, golden, auburn-maned lion lying beside his pale, tan queen.

Even with his blurred, teary vision, Tanabi was able to see their bodies slowly dematerialize under his paws. They had passed on. At last.

Chapter Six

Tanabi could not remember how much time had passed since he last looked into his father's eyes. It must have been a while ago, for now the sun was rising. The cave was empty, and Tanabi could hear quiet whispers coming from the entrance. Slowly, he rose to his feet and walked outside. A small crowd was forming around the cavern, including a mournful Kiara, a depressed Kovu, a confused Vitani and an anxious Monah.

"Tanabi, my son," she cried, "I know what has happened. I am sorry, but you must take your place. Go on." He saw her aura slowly phase from blue to a gentle pink, a sign that she truly loved him. Tanabi knew that she would be his mother, even if she really wasn't. But she loved him. That was all he needed.

With a heavy heart and even heavier paws, the new King began his ascent. He passed Kiara, who nuzzled him affectionately and whispered, "I wish Mom and Dad could see this."

"They will, Sis," Tanabi replied. "They will."

Vitani sat on a pile of boulders, and smiled as he passed. "I never thought I would get to see this," she purred. "Good luck, your highness."

At her side was Kovu, looking slightly glum. "I thought I would be the one doing this," he muttered. "But I guess I'll be in the same place as Scar was."

"That's better than being nobody." replied Tanabi. His heart jumped as he noticed that Kovu's dark shroud had vanished from his body, revealing his handsome, if somewhat scraggly figure. To his even greater astonishment, he saw that the scar over his rival's left eye was gone.

"Kovu . . . your eye . . . "

"It healed during the night, believe it or not. Guess all those emotions I was feeling sped up my immune system."

It was much more simple than that, thought Tanabi.

The darkness had finally been lifted. Giving his brother-in-law a smile and a rub on the shoulder, Tanabi continued up the path.

Rafiki was the last animal standing between the King and his goal. The aged mandrill waved his staff towards the tip of Pride Rock and smiled at Tanabi, who gave him an embrace that nearly crushed the monkey's body and grinned.

"The circle is nearly complete," said Rafiki. "Take your place, my king."

With a determined look and a sad sigh, Tanabi slowly walked along the great jutting rock until he reached the edge: the same place where he was presented to the kingdom, held in the hands of Rafiki, between Simba and Nala. With his eyes still stinging from sorrow, Tanabi then unleashed an earthshaking roar which was followed not only by his echo, but by his new subjects, who also roared with triumph as the morning sun touched the King's brow. Tanabi thought he saw his father's face, and was going to shake off the vision as an illusion, but he remembered what his grandfather said: "We are all alive. We are all with you as you walk through your world. Always."

Yeah, Tanabi thought. I'll remember what you taught me, Mufasa. You too, father. I'll remember.

After several minutes, Tanabi was called back by Kovu, who announced that Kiara, the new Queen of Pride Rock had given birth. Giddy as a gazelle who just learned how to walk, the King sprinted down to the cave where his parents had passed on to see his sister licking a small, dark brown male cub to life.

"He looks like you, all right," said Tanabi to Kovu. "What's his name?"

"I don't know . . . I think you should name him, your majesty."

"Well, Monah never taught me about naming a cub before, but . . . "

"Before you go about naming the prince," said a familiar voice deeper inside the cavern, "You might want to consider naming the princess."

Tanabi bolted inside and found Vitani with a golden cub suckling at her side.

"Vitani! You? A mother? I don't believe it!"

"Thanks to you," Vitani continued, "I've apparently borne the future Queen!"

"It's a female?"

"Apparently. I just narrowed down the usual suspects and I figured you are her father."

"Oh. I see."

"But she's cute, isn't she?"

"Yeah. She sure is."

Kovu then wandered into the cave, behind Tanabi. "Hey, you two. Rafiki is ready to present the prince. Are you . . . Oh!" His words stopped short as he noticed the infant at his sister's side. "Wow. What's her name?"

"I don't know," replied Tanabi. "Maybe my father could give me an idea."

Kovu turned his eyes upwards in deep thought. "Yes. Maybe mine too."

The End

Well, that's that! Hope you enjoyed it! My e-mail address is below. Either agree with or disagree with my story. You have your own path. The Pride Lands are now secure at last.

Akril15@aol.com

Long Live Tanabi and Kiara!

Long Live the Lion King!

I don't want to get carried away, but if this story were to be made into a movie (TLK III), I already have a rough layout. Simba, Nala, Kiara, Kovu, etc. Would be played by their original voice actors. Tanabi . . . probably a good actor for him would be Robby Benson (From Beauty and the Beast). He has a royal-sounding voice, no? I don't know about Monah, perhaps an older woman with a voice like Sarabi's (her actor has passed away, may she rest in peace). Perhaps someday I'll decide.

The song played during the end credits would be the "king.mp3" song ( name uncertain, downloadable from www.simbaspride.org ). The song has a nice beat to it. I don't know its origins, though.

And now, a final little tidbit:

Simba, Nala, Kiara, Kovu, Vitani, Nuka, Zira, Scar, Mufasa and The Lion King are copyright Disney.

Tanabi is copyright his creators, the authors of The Chronicles of the Pride Lands.

Monah is copyrighted by yours truly (the only original character in this fan-fic!).

I don't know much about copyrighting stuff, I was only fifteen seasons when I wrote this. So please have mercy, I beg you.

We are One.