The Lion King III: Tanabi's Return

by Akril

Go Back
Ending B

Chapter Five

Many years had passed since Tanabi's return. Simba and his beloved mate were growing older; Kiara, thanks to her brother, was growing more aware of her destiny as future Queen.

Tanabi, despite his own troubles, was growing concerned for his father's aging body. By now, Simba's eyes had grown hazy, his once proud mane was thinner and tipped with strands of gray. His body was gaunt, resembling Kovu's build, only lighter. Nala was also coming on in years. Her azure eyes graced her delicate form, which was still graceful in spite of the tolls of time. Tanabi knew that soon the sun would set on his father's time and rise with him and his sister. Kovu's destiny . . . well . . . Tanabi did not know what to make of Kovu yet. His hazel eyes could see many dark forms engulfing the lion's body.

Even as a cub, Tanabi could see more than a normal creature. To his eyes, his parents appeared to be surrounded by bright yellow auras that slowly shifted as he watched them. However, in their old age, Simba and Nala's auras seemed to be fading.

The auras of strangers and enemies were less distinct and not as friendly. Monah was engulfed in a light blue haze that constantly shifted and confused Tanabi sometimes, which led him to suspect that his stepmother was holding back much.

Monah spent much time with her foster son. Tanabi often wanted to ask her how she came across all the knowledge she taught him in his cub-hood years, but judging by Monah's flashing yellow eyes, which shone clearly through her blue aura, Tanabi knew that she wasn't giving any secrets away.

As the years came and left, Kovu's jealousy of Tanabi and dark thoughts began to increase and grow stronger. He often snarled at his brother-in-law when their paths crossed and pondered over what to do about him during moments when he was alone.

These moments were occurring much more frequently since the news of Kiara's pregnancy by Kovu. Tanabi spent more and more time with his sister and the other lionesses in Simba's cave, leaving Kovu to himself. It wasn't that he wasn't allowed to visit his mate, but that he simply didn't want to. Anger began to brew in his heart, and cruel and deadly ambitions filled his dreams.

One stormy night, as the rest of the pride slept, Kovu lay awake in the Cave of the Commoners, pondering his situation. For the first time in months, doubt crept into his heart.

What are you thinking? He asked himself. I can't kill my mate's father, after all I've been through. I've earned Simba's trust, now isn't the time to break it! And this Tanabi . . . I just can't . . .

"Kovu!"

Lightning flashed and a familiar voice clawed at Kovu's ears. His head shot up and his heart rattled against his ribs. A cold sweat formed on his forehead.

"Mother?"

"Yes, it is your mother, Kovu. Zira, Queen of the Outlands, mother of Scar's heir . . . who has just given up!!"

The sharp voice cut through the clouds and the head of a pale, gaunt lioness formed in the dark storm. Her red eyes narrowed as she glared at Kovu.

"You little traitor! How could you do this!"

"But, mother, I . . . "

"Enough! You have failed to carry on your father's legacy! I am very disappointed in you, Kovu. I have here the true heir to Scar's throne."

The body of a scraggly, vermin-ridden lion materialized at Zira's right. "Hi, ya little termite!" the figure laughed in a demonic voice. "Didn't think you'd see your victim again, eh?"

"Nuka!" cried Kovu, his fear increasing. "Nuka, I didn't . . . "

Zira smiled and embraced Nuka, who grinned at Kovu viciously and spoke again.

"So you betray your pride, then Simba's Pride! What next! Some son of Scar you are, termite!"

"But Nuka, Scar wasn't my father."

"Oh no, Kovu," said Zira in a voice filled with darkness. "Your father wasn't Scar. My mate was not Scar. You are Scar."

A sharp pain shot through Kovu's body. His roar of agony intermingled with the thunder of the storm. He collapsed to the cave floor, writhing and screaming as Zira and Nuka watched in what seemed to be delight.

"You feel it?" said Zira mockingly. "That is the same spirit that inhabited Scar's mind when he killed his brother. You are indeed Scar. You have the same weak spirit and strong ambition." She laughed wickedly as Nuka joined in, creating a mad chorus of laughter across the Pride Lands.

Kovu's body stopped twisting and he stood up and faced his mother. "What must I do?" he asked in a voice that was not his own.

"Do what I wanted you to do in the first place. Kill Simba and his son. Then you will be king. Go, Kovu. Don't fail me again."

"Yes, mother," said Kovu. With a fierce roar, he sprinted up the side of Pride Rock, towards the king's cave. Another roar shook the night, accompanied by a flash of lightning towards the west. The flash lit the peak of Pride Rock, and for one split second, the shape of Tanabi was outlined by it. Kovu did not see him in his blind rage, but Tanabi did, and he knew what was going on. He raced down the peak, towards the point where the path to his father's cave ended. Before Kovu could enter the cave and do what his mother demanded, Simba's son landed squarely in front of him, blocking his way.

Kovu's eyes narrowed and he snarled furiously. Tanabi knew what had to be done. He rose on his hind legs and roared defensively. Kovu bared his claws and charged. He hit Tanabi in the chest, almost winding him. The young prince swiped his opponent across the nose, drawing blood. Kovu screamed in pain and backed away.

His anger swelling in his heart, Tanabi lunged at Kovu, clawing at his mane. The two lions tumbled down the path, muddied by the light rain that now fell.

Now they faced each other again, both panting heavily with eyes narrowed, Tanabi's hazel eyes and Kovu's green ones.

"I know you would risk your life to save your daddy's," growled Kovu, licking his lower lip, which was bleeding. "Just like Mufasa."

"I won't die without a fight," said Tanabi, trying to find his rival's eyes in the midst of the now wildly churning blood-red aura. "I won't let you kill him!"

"Very well. You will do then, ‘Prince!'"

Kovu lunged again, this time raking Tanabi's chest with his claws. Tanabi roared in rage and sank his teeth into Kovu's front leg. The dark lion shook it free and pinned Tanabi to the stony ground, trying to rip out his throat. The prince clubbed Kovu across the face, sending him sprawling.

"I wish I knew your father," said Tanabi, gasping for breath, "Then I could tell him how pitiful his offspring are."

"I resent that," growled Kovu, rising to his feet and baring his teeth menacingly. "I can't wait to tell your daddy how pitiful his only son was. Before I kill both of them." A wicked chuckle rasped in his throat. Growling deeply, Tanabi leapt in the air and pounced on Kovu's body. The two fought furiously for what seemed like the longest time, as the storm grew and lightning flashed all around. A group of lionesses had emerged from the cave and were nervously watching the battle, too afraid to come closer.

Tanabi felt his strength draining from his limbs. He felt like he was losing. He couldn't. His father's life depended on him. He couldn't give up now. He raised his paw and in that instant, he felt a surge of energy rush through his body. The energy of the Great Kings of the Past. The strength which comes only to the gods when they are in need . . . why it came to Tanabi's aid will always be a mystery. Perhaps he is more than just a lion.

His paw struck Kovu's skull and sent him flying across the cave, hitting the wall with a loud crack. His body grew still. Tanabi limped over to him. Kovu was barely alive; his aura pulsed slowly, the redness gone from it. The spirit had left him for good.

"Kovu?"

The dark lion opened his green and yellow eyes and grimaced. "I should have killed you when I had the chance . . . "

"No, Kovu. You are your own lion. I'm just sorry you allowed evil to enter you."

"I was the heir . . . "

"I'm sorry, Kovu. I had to kill you. For your sake. For Kiara's sake. For the Pride's sake."

"I could try again . . . " choked Kovu, his eyelids drooping.

"Yes, Kovu. Maybe the next life. Your son's life."

"My son . . . ?"

"Yes. Kiara will let you have another chance. You'll live in her son."

"You just want to make me feel better, Tanabi. It's not working."

"Please, Kovu," said Tanabi soothingly. "Don't worry. Just let them take you. I'll always remember you . . . " here he paused for a moment.

" . . . Brother."

Kovu looked up at Tanabi with what almost seemed to be a smile, then he closed his eyes and rolled over, burying the right side of his face into the muddy earth. Tanabi watched as his rival's black aura slowly dissolved, leaving the battered body of a lion. With the dark shroud gone, Tanabi was able to see Kovu as he really was. He also noticed with surprise that the scar over his left eye was gone. The darkness was finally lifted.

Chapter Six:

The young prince watched as Kovu's breath slowed and finally ceased. He ran his paw across the once proud black mane, sighing deeply. The rain still fell outside. Tanabi got up and padded out of the cave. The dark clouds were moving on, but an even darker presence still lingered. Even though he could not see her with his gifted eyes, Tanabi knew that Zira was watching him. He sat down and bowed his noble head.

"I never knew you, Zira. I know you wished to fulfill your mate's wish. You have not failed. His spirit is at peace now. With his son. I see no division between light and dark. So now I beg your forgiveness, for I must follow my own path."

A thick warmth moved over Tanabi's body, easing his pain. He raised his head and saw that the clouds had parted to reveal an ocean of stars. The young prince smiled and knew that the land was secure.

Suddenly a piercing cry tore through the night.

"Kiara!"

Tanabi raced up the rocky path towards the king's cave, the place where the cry came from. The group of lionesses that had witnessed the fight were gathered around the cave's mouth. Monah was among them. The young lion bolted inside, the dark interior blinding him temporarily. He found Kiara sitting by Simba and Nala, who were lying down, breathing shallowly. Rafiki the mandrill shaman stood nearby, his large eyes moist. Kiara was weeping uncontrollably as Rafiki spoke.

"Your parents are quite weak, princess. Leave dem be for now. I will do my best."

The mandrill waved the lioness out of the cave. Kiara was still weeping as she passed Tanabi. She gave him a mournful look, then continued out, sobbing almost hysterically.

Then Rafiki noticed Tanabi. His fragile body sagged as he gripped his staff. "Prince Tanabi, I knew you would come. De king is old. His time draws near. I tink he would like to see you."

Rafiki hobbled out of the cave, leaving the young lion with his aged parents. Tanabi looked at his parents' bodies, and trembled as he noticed how slowly their yellow auras pulsed and shifted. His heart quickened.

"Father?"

Simba opened his weary eyes and smiled at his son.

"Father, don't leave yet. I need you. Kiara does too."

"Tanabi, you'll do all right. You are the true king now. I have lived this life to its fullest, now I need my rest."

A lump swelled in Tanabi's throat. "Dad, I'm not you. I haven't received the proper training. What if I fail?"

"I'll be by your side, Tanabi."

"But won't you be in the stars, with the other Great Kings of the Past?"

Simba managed a weak chuckle. "Of course. But I'll also be here, as will all the other kings who have passed on."

Nala flicked an ear and slowly raised her head. "Tanabi, my son. I'm glad that you've come. I thought I wouldn't get a chance to see you again before I left . . . I love you, Tanabi."

"I know mother. But . . . even though I didn't always have a family . . . I want to be with you. I can't live without you."

"Tanabi," said Simba, "When my father died, I wished that he were still alive. I tried to shake off the fact that he was gone, but I couldn't. Then I got some sense knocked into me. I learned that my father lives on . . . in me. So it will be with you. Me, your mother, and all the Great Kings of the Past will live on forever in you."

"Well said, Simba," said another voice from the entrance of the cave. It was a strong yet compassionate voice, the voice of a once great king. Tanabi raised his head and found himself staring into a face much like his own, yet older and softer. The eyes of the face were a golden brown, much like the great mane that adorned the noble face. Slowly, Tanabi could discern the rest of the image's body: well-built and muscular, surrounded by a shimmering aura that confused his senses. It was not the colored haze that he saw in mortal creatures, but rather the shroud of a god, a once mighty creature.

"Are you who I think you are?" Tanabi asked out loud.

Simba's eyes brimmed with tears. "Mufasa . . . "

"You're alive . . . " Tanabi quavered.

"We are all alive, my grandson. We are all with you as you walk through your world. All of us."

As Mufasa spoke, several other figures shimmered into being behind him. Tanabi recognized the late Sarabi, her tan coat and black-edged ears prominent; as well as the muscular, tawny Ahadi; his beloved mate Akase; the powerful, dark-coated Mohatu, and all the Great Kings and Queens of the Past. Even the black-maned Taka cowered at his brother's side, close to his beloved Zira and their scruffy oldest son, Nuka.

But Kovu was not there.

"He had no place," sighed Mufasa. "He was only a temporary link in the circle. No one knew you were alive, Tanabi. Even I didn't. Now the circle is truly complete."

It was then that Tanabi, son of Simba and Nala, brother of Kiara, King of Pride Rock, so strong of spirit that he couldn't be seen even by the gods, possibly half spirit, half lion, the great seer of truth of all mortals crouched down and wept by his father's side. True mortal tears, unlike any from the eyes of a god.

"You are worthy of the throne, Tanabi," whispered Nala. "Don't worry. We'll be with you. I'm just glad that you are alive." As she smiled at her son, Nala's eyes slowly faded from blue to green, her great sorrow finally lifted. Tanabi cried even more, caressing his mother and father. Simba then sighed and said: "Tanabi, remember that when you walk to the peak of Pride Rock to take your place, we will all be roaring with you. Remember that, my son."

"Come, Simba," Mufasa purred gently. "Come with us. It is time. You too, my dear Nala. You have done well. It's time that you rested."

In the dim light of the stars, Tanabi watched as his mother and father's auras faded out of existence before his eyes. For the first and last time, he saw them as they really were: a majestic, golden, auburn-maned lion lying beside his pale, tan queen.

Even with his blurred, teary vision, Tanabi was able to see their bodies slowly dematerialize under his paws. They had passed on. At last.

Chapter Seven:

Tanabi could not remember how much time had passed since he last looked into his father's eyes. It must have been a while ago, for now the sun was rising. The cave was empty, and Tanabi could hear quiet whispers coming from the entrance. Slowly, he rose to his feet and walked outside. A small crowd was forming around the cavern, including a mournful Kiara, a confused Vitani and an anxious Monah.

"Tanabi, my son," she cried, "I know what has happened. I am sorry, but you must take your place. Go on." He saw her aura slowly phase from blue to a gentle pink, a sign that she truly loved him. Tanabi knew that she would be his mother, even if she really wasn't. But she loved him. That was all he needed.

With a heavy heart and even heavier paws, the new King began his ascent. He passed Kiara, who nuzzled him affectionately and whispered, "I wish Mom and Dad could see this."

"They will, Sis," Tanabi replied. "They will."

Vitani sat on a pile of boulders, and smiled as he passed. "I never thought I would get to see this," she purred. "Good luck, your highness."

Rafiki was the last animal standing between the King and his goal. The aged mandrill waved his staff towards the tip of Pride Rock and smiled at Tanabi, who gave him an embrace that nearly crushed the monkey's body and grinned.

"The circle is nearly complete," said Rafiki. "Take your place, my king."

With a determined look and a sad sigh, Tanabi slowly walked along the great jutting rock until he reached the edge: the same place where he was presented to the kingdom, held in the hands of Rafiki, between Simba and Nala. With his eyes still stinging from sorrow, Tanabi then unleashed an earthshaking roar which was followed not only by his echo, but by his new subjects, who also roared with triumph as the morning sun touched the King's brow. Tanabi thought he saw his father's face, and was going to shake off the vision as an illusion, but he remembered what his grandfather said: "We are all alive. We are all with you as you walk through your world. Always."

Yeah, Tanabi thought. I'll remember what you taught me, Mufasa. You too, father. I'll remember.

After several minutes, Tanabi was called back by Monah, who announced that Kiara, the new Queen of Pride Rock had given birth. Giddy as a gazelle who just learned how to walk, the King sprinted down to the cave where his parents had passed on to see his sister licking a small, dark brown male cub to life. As Tanabi approached, the infant opened his hazel eyes and smiled.

"I don't know how he will live without a father," said Kiara sadly.

"I'm sorry Kiara," mumbled Tanabi. "But . . . "

"I understand. You had to do it, Tanabi."

"I know. I'll try to be the little guy's father. I don't know how I will do, though."

The king looked at the dark cub and spoke again. "He looks like Kovu, all right," he said softly. "What's his name?"

"I don't know . . . I think you should name him."

"Well, Monah never taught me about naming a cub before, but . . . "

"Kizazi."

"Huh?"

"Kizazi. The new generation. My little Kovu."

Tanabi knew that Kiara understood her place in the Circle. Happiness filled his heart. "Yes. That is a good name. Kizazi."

"Now that you've named the prince," said a familiar voice deeper inside the cavern, "You might want to consider naming the princess."

Tanabi bolted inside and found Vitani with a golden cub suckling at her side.

"Vitani! You? A mother? I don't believe it!"

"Thanks to you," Vitani continued, "I've apparently borne the future Queen!"

"It's a female?"

"Apparently. I just narrowed down the usual suspects and I figured you are her father."

"Oh. I see."

"But she's cute, isn't she?"

"Yeah. She sure is."

Monah then wandered into the cave, behind Tanabi. "Hey, you two. Rafiki is ready to present the prince. Are you . . . Oh!" Her words stopped short as she noticed the infant at Vitani's side. Her eyes moved from the cub to its mother to her stepchild.

"Tanabi, you're a father!" she screamed, embracing him. "You lucky kid! I never knew what it was like to have a child at my side. Now . . . " she paused and looked at the golden cub. " . . . I think I have a rough idea what it's like. What's her name?"

"I don't know," replied Tanabi. "Maybe my father could give me an idea."

"And so could I." said another voice. Tanabi looked around the cave and saw a dark, transparent figure sitting beside Vitani. The figure raised its muscular, black-maned head and regarded the King out of its sharp green eyes with a satisfied smile.

The king's heart raced and his knees shook, but Kovu slowly shook his head and spoke again.

"Don't worry, my king. I've found my place. Now I understand."

The dark lion faded away. Vitani and Monah looked confused, then calm. They also understood. Tanabi smiled contentedly, then slowly strode out of the cave, where Rafiki waited with Kovu's son, the future king.

The End

Well, that's that! Hope you enjoyed it! Either agree with or disagree with my story. You have your own path. The Pride Lands are now secure at last.

Long Live Tanabi and Kiara!

Long Live the Lion King!

I don't want to get carried away, but if this story were to be made into a movie (TLK III), I already have a rough layout. Simba, Nala, Kiara, Kovu, etc. Would be played by their original voice actors. Tanabi . . . probably a good actor for him would be Robby Benson (From Beauty and the Beast). He has a royal-sounding voice, no? I don't know about Monah, perhaps an older woman with a voice like Sarabi's (her actor has passed away, may she rest in peace). Perhaps someday I'll decide.

The song played during the end credits would be the "king.mp3" song ( name uncertain, downloadable from www.simbaspride.org ). The song has a nice beat to it. I don't know its origins, though.

And now, a final little tidbit:

Simba, Nala, Kiara, Kovu, Vitani, Nuka, Zira, Scar, Mufasa and The Lion King are © Disney.

Tanabi is © his creators, the authors of The Chronicles of the Pride Lands.

Monah is © by yours truly (the only original character in this fan-fic!).

I don't know much about copyrighting stuff, I was only fifteen seasons when I wrote this. So please have mercy, I beg you.

We are One.